Friday, 22 February 2013

Peg & Pig's Kitchen - Uppittu with Vegetables


I grew up with this dish - Uppittu. For fun and for the fact that this dish just sits tight in your stomach, we call the dish "Concrete." My mom prepares absolutely delicious uppittu. She adds vegetables - according to season - to make the dish interesting (and healthy) for us. Sigh, all her sincere attempts fail. Forcibly we would gobble up a serving for breakfast, and avoid returning home for the remaining meals.

Now I have a kitchen of my own, and plan the menu for all days of the week. During such a planning activity, I end up having empty space (for breakfast) on certain days. I try my best to avoid filling the empty space with the dish - Uppittu, but blah, sometimes I am compelled to cook uppittu. Well, you have guessed correct that I'm not a big fan of this dish. However, my husband likes uppittu.

I chop available vegetables - tomatoes, carrots, spring onions, capsicum, ginger, Green chillies, and onions - and fry them in about two tablespoons of cooking oil (or ghee). I also add mustard seeds and curry leaves for seasoning. When the vegetables cook, add pinch of turmeric, salt, juice of half a lemon, and sufficient water. Bring it to a boil, and then stir in the rava (dry roasted), ensuring that lumps aren't formed. Close a lid and allow the rava to cook well. Stir continuously  When the dish doesn't stick to the pan, means that the dish is complete. Top the dish with freshly grated coconut and finely chopped coriander leaves.

Note: Can also use combination of peas, cauliflower, potatoes, beans, Indian beans, and others. If you use eggplant, the recipe is a little different; will post that recipe later.


So, do you like uppittu?

Regards,
Asha

2 comments:

  1. How can anyone not like uppiTTu?
    The flowers look good, what are they called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AAM! Those are spring onion flowers. :)

      Delete

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. We would love to read your comment/feedback/reviews. Leave us one!